Bees and Beetles

Within a month, my garden has overgrown it's tiny 4X8 boxes. I've trimmed back the undeterminate tomatoes twice and just pulled out a bunch of cucumber plants that were taking over everything. Obviously, I need at least twice as much garden space...Maybe next year. But we've already eaten Amish snap peas, green peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes and green and yellow beans, to say nothing of the wondeful mint, basil, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. I also have a bumper crop of japanese beetles eating everything in sight. I bought some systemic stuff then found out it's not for use with planters and of course it can't be used with the vegetables. I found some stuff which is safe for vegetables, however, it kills bees and everything in the garden is abloom. No way I'm going to kill off our little pollinating friends.
Doesn't the fence section look like a honeycomb?
bees,cucumbers,pollination
I caught this guy in flight, although I need to do some post-processing so his wings are more visible.
Photobucket
So, have you ever tried picking off a million japanese beetles and throwing them into soapy water? They are not anxious to be caught and I have an atavistic fear of touching them directly. It's quite the backyard theater. Well, just take a look at this bugger - YUK!
Photobucket
And that's just his pre-breakfast snack.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fourth Lake Forest Preserve

Seven Pounds

Where Have I Been?