Furlough Day

The State of Illinois is billions of dollars in debt, which means that money promised to the University of Illinois ,where I work, hasn't been sent. Clearly the University's primary missions are education and research so the institution is agonizing over how to meet this vast short fall in funds without endangering those missions. So, furlough days, or, if you'd prefer, a short term cut in pay. A furlough day is a mandatory day off without pay where you are absolutely not allowed to work. Generally not a problem for the kind of work I'm involved in where we can cover for each other most of the time. However, lots of people on the commuter bus to the train station (who talk while I unintentionally eavesdrop) are involved in research or patient care and they would rather keep working for less pay. The pay cut was not offered as an option at first. I have a feeling people like my bus mates made the case for it. The University thought these options were more fair than firing x people instead, and I totally agree with that approach.



So today was my first furlough day. I decided I wanted it to be fun and positive. I had lots of choices. I would have enjoyed just staying home and getting the kitchen "office" organized, or setting up the sewing/craft area in the basement. But I chose to do horsey things.

I found a barn not far from my house whose philosophy is to foster an environment where "People can grow in their relationships with horses." Sounded very interesting to me, given my recent experience with Navaroan. In addition, in April they're sponsoring a clinic with Tom Nagel the author of Zen and the HorseAlso very interesting - the current edition has a foreword by Sally Swift who developed the concept of Centered Riding.  So I went up and had a lesson with Lynn this morning which I enjoyed very much. A lot of what they're all saying has to do with how you communicate (or not), block (or not) or enable (or not) the horse you're riding. In addition, the horse is actually treated as a living, thinking being in the equation, quite different from a bicycle or another piece of sporting equipment which is not alive.  Okay, so that may be very obvious to some of you, but that's not how horses are always treated.  Anyway, the approach has definitely captured my interest so I'll go for a couple more lessons.

After I finished there, I drove north to Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, to see Stealth and his wonderful trainer, Abby Onsgard again.  I was ready to buy him last spring before I saw Navaroan and he certainly deserves another very serious look.  He's trained to Dressage levels that I will never attain so in some ways I feel he's wasted on me.  On the other hand, he's a super sweet, gentle, willing, forgiving horse who seems to love anyone who gives him some affection (or a carrot).  Okay, so he's a slut of the "love the one you're with" variety.  Abby took him through his paces - WOW is he talented and Abby makes it look like he's doing it all by himself. (Need I say, WOW, is she talented!) Then I rode him a bit.  By the way, I  knew I was out of shape, because I really haven't had more than a 5-minute ride on Navaroan in about 5 months, but I didn't know how bad it was until I rode Stealth a bit today.  It was exhilirating.  It was scary.  It was fun!!!!!  So I'm ready to take next steps with him.  Of course, as seems to be my luck of late, another woman saw him last week and wants to see him again next weekend.  Do I love him enough to buy him right now?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fourth Lake Forest Preserve

Seven Pounds

Where Have I Been?