"Vacuum Refrigerator Coils"

I'm not sure why, but all of a sudden I'm getting Martha Stewart Living Magazine. I almost threw it away without opening it, but stuck it in my train bag instead. And it's great! I could hardly believe it. And I think it hit me just at the right time, right before the winter doldrums had me totally immobilized. I felt like Julie (of Julie and Julia - wonderful movie, by the way)when she committed to 532 recipes in 365 days. I'm energized!

And it's the most unexpected things that really caught my fancy. One of my favorite things is Martha's calendar at the very beginning of the magazine. Besides all the usual stuff - yoga 3 times a week, workouts 2 times a week, there are things like "Vacuum refrigerator coils " and "Clean and oil saddles." Having it there - just that one thing for that day - makes it seem so doable. When I think of things like that, I think, OMG, the house is such a wreck, where can I start and I immediately come up with a huge, impossible list of things that I can't possibly get done even if I spend every minute on them for the rest of my life. It's so massive, it's so overwhelming and it's so tightly bundled that there is no chance on earth I could ever focus on or start just one thing. "Vacuum refrigerator coils." Now, there's something I can do and feel virtuous and accomplished.

The other thing I really like is this feeling I get that the magazine is teaching good housekeeping. I've worked professionally my whole life as did my mother. No one ever taught me that bed pillows should be washed twice a year. Why does that dictum appeal to me? I don't know, it's so organizing. I can make my own Martha calendar and I can "wash MBR pillows" in February, "wash guest room pillows" in March. I can give myself a pat on the back every time I cross something off the list and feel like I'm taking really good care of my home and its inhabitants. Aaah. Thank you, Martha!

housewife Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fourth Lake Forest Preserve

Seven Pounds

Car Psychosis