Joey's Move to Wichita

Joey's Americorps job with Habitat for Humanity began September 13th in Wichita. She and I picked up a 16-foot Penske truck last Wednesday afternoon and the whirlwind began.

At the hotel in Wichita - why do my children always make faces for the camera?
Photobucket


Our friends, the Dykemans, gave her a ton of furniture so our first trip with the truck was to their house to pick up lamps, a love seat, patio furniture, a night stand...They basically furnished her whole apartment, bless their generous hearts!

Joey's little patio with furniture from the Dykemans
Photobucket

Photobucket

We finished loading the truck at our house at about 9:00 pm and left Thursday morning at 6:30 am. I drove the truck and Joey drove her car. We both had GPS units and cell phones so we tag teamed for almost 14 hours to Wichita. The truck was quite new - it only had 9000 miles on it - and drove easily. The only problem was that I got rained on inside the cab. Luckily we only had rain for a few hours.

Our Penske truck - boy were we happy when it was unloaded! It was 95 and humid on Friday and her apartment is on the third floor and there's no elevator. Joey and I took turns collapsing.
Photobucket

I was expecting to see nothing but wheat fields in Kansas, but going down I 35 we saw cattle, grazing land and oil fields instead. I was thinking that Wichita was one of those cities along the old cattle drive routes. I'm going to have to explore that a bit. It seems like a nice town - the downtown area has lots of outdoor sculpture and interesting bridge designs and seems quite prosperous. And it's very approachable. Nothing's more than about 15 minutes away. Oh, and did I say that Joey was able to rent a nice one-bedroom apartment in a nice area for less than half of what she would've paid for a 10 X 10 studio in Chicago?

Photobucket

Ahh - the bed put together and clean sheets
Photobucket

Bookshelves assembled and things put away
Photobucket

Places to sit
Photobucket

The view (not quite so picturesque as Charlie's)
Photobucket

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fourth Lake Forest Preserve

Seven Pounds

Where Have I Been?