Try, try again

When I was trying to get rid of another blog account host that was costing $100's annually ( I was totally unaware - DOH), I reread the entries I made 10 years ago.  What I noticed is that it was a nice diary - nothing fancy - but a good record.  So in that spirit, that's what I'll do here.

Sugar-frosted trees
Yesterday, Gracie and I parked at the back lot of the Hasting Lake Forest Preserve and walked in the neighborhood adjoining Crooked Lake.  The neighborhood is gentrifying slowly so there are some beautiful houses along the lake and a nice little cluster of prairie-style houses up Woodland Trails - I love those houses!  And then, boom! Munn Road divides into a little circle with Miller Road and you hit the old ticky-tacky lake cabins, the Crooked Lake Resort (don't be fooled by the name)and Bar - Video Gaming available.   Across from the 'resort; is an old multi-doored place that was a probably a repair garage once long ago and is now pretty much a junk yard, at least on the outside.  A little further down, the White Feather Indian Club, whatever that might be; private!  At the end of the drive going onto the property there's a gate with blinking red lights - looks like a railroad crossing.  Beyond the gate a little further on is the lake, but what's that gate guarding?  Quicksand or something? 

Next is the East Shore Crooked Lake Residents Association with a boat launch and a sign that exhorts to keep the park clean.  What park? All I could see was the rickety boat launch and lots of snow-covered bog grass. 

Then there are the abandoned houses/cabins.  For some reason, I was thinking about keeping these places in mind in case times ever got tough and we needed a place to squat.  Never mind the lack of electricity, the abundance of critters, etc.  I do wonder where those thoughts came from, though.  Be prepared, I guess.  Or anticipating the collapse of civilized society under the reign of King Donald.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fourth Lake Forest Preserve

Where Have I Been?